Sunday, April 27, 2014

Career Fair

About a week or so ago, I attended a career fair. It was put on by a local service organization and hosted some very official attendees. And then there was us, Awesome Critter Clinic. We had a table mostly due to Dr. Old's relationship with the service club. We were the most popular table there, because we had a puppy.

It was really hard, because I love my profession. However, I don't love the $12-15,000 I see fly out the door each year in student loan repayments. Graduates these days with debt between $150-200,000? I don't know how they live, especially if they're single.

Afterwards, the Army guys told me I should be a recruiter. Because, see, every time a kid asked about vet school, I said - you better figure out a way to pay for it. Don't do it on loans. If you really want to go to vet school, join the Army & have them pay for it. Otherwise you're going to be busting your @ss for the next 30 years working at a semi-thankless job and watching 40-60% of your salary go out the door to repay loans.

It was painful, sure, to discourage kids from attending vet school. But someone needs to tell them the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment